Hidden Hazards: Appliance Safety Tips For A Secure Home

Everyone wants to keep their home and family as safe as possible, and that starts with your electrical appliances. These are an integral part of the functioning of your home, but you can avoid electrical hazards with a few savvy moves.

Here is what you need to know to keep your electrical appliance working at optimal levels with minimal risk to your home:

Minimize Extension Cords

Everyone has been there. You need to plug in an appliance, but there are no outlets nearby. It seems that extension cords are the obvious solution. However, long-term usage of extension cords can prove problematic. An extension cord used regularly for a high-watt appliance can lead to overheating and electrical fires.

If you will be using your appliances regularly in this position, you should have an electrician install an outlet in the proper position.

Use GFCI Outlets

Your appliances should be plugged into ground fault circuit interrupter (GFCI) outlets. These stop the current flow to the outlet if the outlet gets wet or poses other electrical hazards. It may not protect you from electrical fires in every circumstance, but it is a great preemptive move for your home.

Unplug the Appliance

One of the hidden dangers that can lead to an electrical fire is leaving your appliance plugged in at all times. Small appliances like hair dryers, toasters, and the like should be unplugged when not in use. It also stops the consumption of energy, saving you money on your monthly power bill. Also, ensure that you never get the appliance wet when using a nearby water source (which can lead to electrical accidents or even electric shock).

Dust Your Appliances

If you are concerned about electrical safety, one of the best things you can do is take care of individual appliances to the best of your ability. That starts with dusting them regularly. Dust can block the flow of electricity and lead to overheating. In turn, this can cause house fires.

Repair Damaged Electrical Cords

Homeowners should regularly inspect the electrical cords of their appliances to make sure that there are no fire hazards. Frayed cords or damaged cords that leave wires exposed can spark fires. Often, the solution is as simple as buying a new cord, but it might mean buying a new appliance.

Some people are tempted to repair cords with electrical tape, but this should never be a long-term solution. Always replace the cord immediately or unplug the appliance right away instead of attempting to patch the frayed and exposed wires.

Get Electrical Repairs ASAP

Whether it is washing machines, refrigerators, or ovens, you need to take care of your appliances. If you notice that your power cords require immediate attention, contact KAR. We can help you improve your home’s electrical safety to prevent house fires and lasting damage.

Contact us today for fast and reliable appliance repair in Winnipeg!